Competition Description: This is a writing competition. This competition aims to offer a platform where entrants can share their Namibian inspirations. The competition will take place over the period of 01 June 2017 until 14 August 2017. Winners will not be announced before 31 August 2017. All entries must be submitted during the official competition period. Entries submitted after midnight, 14 August, will not be considered eligible for judging. The Sponsors reserve the right to decide on timing and eligibility of entries at their own discretion. Sponsors also reserve the right to modify the competition and the rules thereof at any time, at their sole discretion.
Eligibility: To enter this competition, you must be a Namibian citizen or permanent resident of Namibia. The competition cannot be entered by anyone under the age of twelve years old. When an entrant is under the legal age, the entry form needs to be signed by the parent/legal guardian of the entrant. Prizes awarded to entrants under the legal age will be the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian of entrant. When submitting an entry written by a minor into this competition, the relevant parties acknowledge that they have read the rules, regulations, and terms and conditions of this competition in full.
When submitting an entry to this competition, entrants confirm that they are physically located and permanently reside in Namibia.
Employees, directors, shareholders or family members of Sponsors are not eligible to participate in this competition.
Submissions: All entries can be submitted into one of three categories – namely ’12 to 15 years’, ’16-24 years’ and ’25 and over’. When entering submissions the relevant category must be named. It must also be stated that all parties mentioned (excluding public figures and the deceased) in the submitted entry have given consent and are aware that they form part of the submitted story. Each submission must include a photograph of the entrant (at least 2MB in size). This photograph will be used in conjunction with the entered story, to identify the entrant.
Submitted entries are not to exceed 1000 words, not including title and author’s name. There is, however, no minimum requirement regarding the word count. All entries must meet the following requirements:
- As mentioned above, all characters/individuals mentioned in the story must have given their consent prior to submission. This rule does not apply to public figures or the deceased.
- Submitted stories may not contain crude language, obscene references, sexually inappropriate content, criminally or socially offensive references or illegal references. All entries must be suitable to be read by the general public. The Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any entries that violate these requirements.
- All entries must be submitted electronically to email@example.com
- Entries must follow the guidelines of something/someone that has inspired you (all content must be based in Namibia or based on a Namibian citizen/s).
- Entries do not need to follow biographical written standards and/or styles.
- By submitting the story, entrants confirm that the story has not been previously published in any form or on any platforms, and that all the content is the entrant’s own work. Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
Each entrant is allowed one, single submission into the competition. The sponsors will determine, at their sole discretion, whether the submission is eligible and appropriate for the competition. Sponsors’ decision regarding submission’s eligibility is final and binding within the competition.
Judging and Notifications: There will be a total of nine (9) winners, three in each category. The judging process will look at quality of the content and the ultimate inspirational content delivered. Thereafter the Sponsors reserve the right to use the submitted entries in any way they see fit. Author’s names and photographs will be listed alongside their stories, but no further compensation will be awarded to the authors.
The Sponsors will notify the winners by email and/or via Facebook. The Sponsors are not responsible for any delay or failure to receive the said notification, for any reason. If winners fail to respond to the Sponsors, the Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify that winner, at their sole discretion. In the event where such an instance takes place, a new winner will be selected.
Awards: The top submissions, who will have been announced as the competition winners will receive the following:
- First prize, in each category, will be N$ 10 000.00 in cash
- Second prize, in each category, will be N$5 000.00 in cash and a voucher for 2 people at any Gondwana Collection properties, excluding Klein-Aus Vista.
- Third prize, in each category, a voucher for 2 people at any Gondwana Collection properties, excluding Klein-Aus Vista.
Prize Conditions: By accepting any award, winners give the Sponsors permission to use the submitted stories, photographs and the authors’ names. The winners do, in their sole discretion, have the right to refuse any of the above mentioned prizes. However, in the event where this may occur, a new winner will be selected by the Sponsors.
Terms & Conditions: By entering this competition, entrants agree to release their submissions to the Sponsors of the competition. Having said that, when stories are used the author will be acknowledged by name. Plagiarism will not be tolerated, by entering this competition the entrant acknowledges that the content of his submission is his own intellectual property.
During and following this competition, the submission remains the intellectual property of the entrant, and participation in this competition will not imply a transfer of ownership. However, please note that by submitting your story to this competition, you grant the sponsors full rights to use the story as they see fit. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Printing, publishing, distributing and otherwise any form in which to make the story available in print or electronic forms.
- Sponsors reserve the right to add artwork or music to the submissions, in doing so the entrant will not be involved in the process, nor do the Sponsors need their permission.
- The Sponsors maintain exclusive copy rights on of the submitted stories and the entrant is not liable for any further compensation, once the competition has concluded.
If a submission includes/contains any content or elements that are not solely owned by the entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties – the entrant is required to confirm with written proof prior to the entry into the competition, that he/she has consent and the necessary releases to permit the use of the entered submissions by the Sponsors, without additional compensation of any kind.
All entries and submissions are accepted to contain no confidential or sensitive content. Nor is the content allowed to violate any regulations or any laws. Sponsors reserve the right to verify the ownership and originality of all entries, upon the Sponsor’s request the entrant needs to submit a written copy of any release or permission the entrant has received allowing the entrant the use of the property by the third party.
The sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. They also reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition in its entirety, or in part at any time and without notice. The sponsors cannot be held responsible for any malfunctioning problems regarding the submission processes. Attention: Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the competition is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages or other remedies from any such person(s) responsible for the attempt to the fullest extent permitted by the law.